Over a hundred thousand of senior citizens reside in CAR
- In the latest census results, there were 132,893 senior citizens listed in the Cordillera.
- Out of the total senior citizens in the region, 54 percent were females (72,337 females).
- Data showed that there were more female senior citizens than male senior citizens (60,556 males).
Figure 1. Number of senior citizens by sex, CAR: 2015
Most senior citizens in the Cordillera are married
- There were 80,631 married senior citizens in the region.
- The number of widowed senior citizens reached 40 thousand in 2015.
- The number of single senior citizens was at 8,403.
Figure 2. Number of senior citizens by marital status, CAR: 2015
There are more female senior citizens than male senior citizens who are single
- In 2015, there were 4,741 female senior citizens who were single. Most of them belong to the age group 60 to 64 years.
- The number of single males were 3,662 that was less than the number of single females. Most of the single males were from the age group 60 to 64 years.
- In the age group 80 years and over, there were 278 male senior citizens. While the number of female senior citizens reached 746 individuals.
Figure 3. Number of single senior citizens by age group and sex, CAR: 2015
Widowed senior citizens reach more than 40 thousand
- In the region, there were 40,310 widowed senior citizens. Out of the total number of widowed senior citizens, 77 percent (31,062) were females.
- The number of widowed senior citizens peaked at age group 80 years and over, with 10,563 senior citizens.
- Among age groups, it is observed that there were more widows than widowers. A trend that shows women live longer than men.
Table 1. Number of widowed senior citizens by age group and sex, CAR: 2015