A. BIRTH REGISTRATIONS
Birth registrations in CAR reach 39,557 in 2017
- The number of registered births in Cordillera Administrative Region reached 39,557 in 2017. This slightly increased by 0.07 percent from the 39,531 births registered in 2016.
There were 108 babies born daily both in 2017 and 2016, or about 5 babies born every hour in the Cordillera.
Table 1. Number and Daily Average of Registered Live Births by Province,
CAR: 2016 and 2017
Benguet has the highest number of births
- Among the provinces in the region, Benguet registered the highest number of registered births with 16,941. The province shared 42.8 percent of the total registered births in the region. Kalinga came next with 5,691 registered births, followed by Abra with 5,303, and Mt. Province with 4,274.
- On the other hand, Ifugao and Apayao had the lowest number of registered births with 4,018 and 3,330, respectively.
Most Number of Registered Births in May
- In 2017, the highest number of registered births was recorded during the month of May with 3,577 births or 9.0 percent of the total live births in 2017, followed by the month of November with 3,535 registered births and October with 3,523 registered births.
- The month of April had the least number of births registered with 2,808.
Figure 3. Number of Registered Live Births by Month, CAR: 2017
B. MARRIAGE REGISTRATIONS
- A total of 9,247 marriages were registered in 2017. This decreased by 4.2 percent from the 9,658 marriages in 2016.
- Three provinces namely, Kalinga, Ifugao, and Benguet posted an increase in the number of registered marriages in CAR from 2016 to 2017. Kalinga recorded the highest increase with 9.0 percent, from 1,076 registered marriages in 2016 to 1,173 marriages in 2017. It was followed by Ifugao with an increase of 5.8 percent and Benguet with 2.1 percent increase.
Table 2. Number and Daily Average of Registered Marriages
by Province, CAR: 2016 and 2017
May is the most popular wedding month in 2017
- May was the most preferred month to tie the knot in 2017 with a total of 1,292 marriages or equivalent to an average of four marriages daily. The least number of marriages were recorded in September with 413 marriages.
Vital statistics are derived from information obtained at the time when the occurrences of vital events and their characteristics are inscribed in a civil register.
Vital acts and events are the births, deaths, fetal deaths, marriages, and all such events that have something to do with an individual's entrance and departure from life together with the changes in civil
status that may occur to a person during his lifetime. Recording of these events in the civil register is known as vital or civil registration and the resulting documents are called vital records.
Live Birth is a complete expulsion or extraction from its mother of a product of conception, irrespective of the duration of the pregnancy, which after such separation, breathes or shows any other evidence of life, such as beating of the heart, pulsation of the umbilical cord, or definite movement of voluntary muscles, whether or not the umbilical cord has been cut or the placenta is attached; each product of such a birth is considered liveborn.
Marriage is that it is a social contract between two individuals that unites their lives legally, economically and emotionally