The Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) generates statistics for freshwater municipal aquaculture and municipal inland fishing. The Quarterly Inland Municipal and Quarterly Aquaculture Surveys are conducted in sample aquaculture farms and sample inland fishing households. The respondents of the surveys are aquafarm operators, fishermen or other knowledgeable members of the household. Generated quarterly fisheries production is included in the quarterly data review process of the PSA at the provincial, regional and national levels. After the data validation, preliminary estimates are made available to data users.
Table 1. Fishery Production by Aquafarm Type by Province, CAR: CY 2018
|Region/Province||Production (MT)||% Change|
- The fish production of the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) increased by 6.5 percent from 4,148.0 metric tons (MT) in 2017 to 4,418.8 MT in 2018 contributed mainly by Aquaculture. The provinces of Abra, Apayao and the top producing Ifugao registered positive performances (Table 1).
|Region/Province||Production (MT)||% Change|
- Out of the total regional production of 4,418.8 MT, 3,307.6 MT (74.9%) came from aquaculture and 1,111.2 MT (25.1%) came from inland fishery production.
- In 2018, Ifugao was consistently the top producer with 2,675.5 MT accounting 60.1 percent of the total regional fisheries production. Abra province came second with 14.0 percent share, followed by Benguet with 9.3 percent, Kalinga with 9.2 percent, and Apayao with 7.1 percent share (Figure 1).
- Mountain Province contributed the smallest share in the fishery production of the region with an output of 13.9 MT comprising only 0.3 percent of the total fish production in the region (Table 2).
MUNICIPAL INLAND PRODUCTION
- Inland municipal fishing refers to fishing in inland waters like lakes, rivers, and dams. Using simple gears and fishing boats some of which are non-motorized with a capacity of less than three (3) gross tons, or fishing not requiring the use of fishing boats.
- Cordillera municipal inland fishing output during the Calendar Year of 2018 was 1,111.2 MT, comprising 25.1% of the total fisheries production in the region (Table 3).
Table 3. Municipal Inland Production by Province, CAR: CY 2018
|Region/Province||Production (MT)||% Share|
- Kalinga and Abra were the top inland fishing provinces with 286.8 MT and 260.7 MT of fish caught, comprising 25.8 percent and 23.5 percent of the total inland fishery production of the region. Ifugao followed with 21.6 percent share while Apayao came fourth with 19.3 percent. The provinces with the smallest shares were Benguet and Mountain Province with 9.5 percent and 0.3 percent shares, respectively (Figure 2).
- Aquaculture is a fishery operation involving all forms of raising and culturing of fish and other fishery species in fresh, brackish and marine water areas.
Table 4. Aquaculture Production and Area Harvested by Province, CAR: CY 2018
|Region/Province||Production (MT)||Area Harvested|
- In 2018, CAR registered an aquaculture production of 3,307.6 MT with an estimated area harvested of 570.9 hectares. Aquaculture dominated the region’s fisheries accounting for 74.9 percent of the total fisheries production (Table 4).
- Ifugao province posted the highest production with 2,417.0 MT from an area harvested of 273.2 hectares. Abra was a distant second with 359.0 MT with an area harvested of 151.4 hectares while Mountain Province had the least production in the region with only 10.0 MT and an area harvested of 4.0 hectares (Table 4).
- In terms of percentage distribution in aquaculture production in the region, Ifugao contributed 73.1 percent. Abra came second with 10.9 percent share. The other provinces and their shares to total aquaculture production were Benguet with 9.2 percent; Kalinga with 3.6 percent; and Apayao with 3.0 percent. Mountain Province had the smallest share of 0.3 percent (Figure 4).
Aquaculture is a fishery operation involving all forms of raising and culturing of fish and other fishery species in fresh, brackish and marine water areas. The operation is comprised of activities from stocking to harvesting of species under controlled conditions in farming facility called aquafarm.
Aquafarm refers to the farming facilities used in the culture or propagation of aquatic species for purposes of rearing to enhanced production.
Freshwater is water without salt or marine origin.
Aquaculture Production refers to the volume harvested from the aquafarm during the reference period. It includes those species harvested in marketable or matured size and fresh in form.
Fishponds refers to a land-based type of aquafarm; a body of water (artificial or natural) where fish are cultured, raised or cultivated under controlled conditions.
Fish Cage refers to a stationary or floating fish enclosure made of synthetic net wire/bamboo screen set in the form of inverted mosquito net (“hapa” type) for aquaculture purposes.
Area Harvested is the actual area which harvests are realized.
Inland municipal fishing is the catching of fish, crustacean, mollusks and other aquatic animal and plants in inland waters like lakes, rivers, dams etc. using simple gears and fishing boats some of which are non-motorized with a capacity of less than three (3) gross tons, or fishing not requiring the use of fishing boats.
Inland municipal Production refers to the volume of catch during the reference period.