- In the last quarter of 2020, CAR shared 1.2 percent to the country’s total number of private constructions or equivalent to 375 units constructed.
- These constructions had a total value of 1.8 billion and with total floor area of 156,637 square meters.
Table 1. Number, Floor Area, and Value of Construction, CAR: Q4 2020
|Country/Region||Number||Total Floor Area
|Cordillera Administrative Region||375||156,637||1,818,345|
Benguet tops the number of building constructions in fourth quarter of 2020
- Among the provinces in the region, Benguet including Baguio City recorded the highest number of constructions with 238 units or 63.5 percent share to the region’s construction, followed by Apayo with 52 units, and Kalinga with 49 units. The three provinces with the least number of constructions were Abra with 16 units, Ifugao with 13 units, and Mountain Province with 7 units.
Figure 1. Percentage of Construction Activities by Province, CAR: Q4 2020
Construction cost at PhP 1,161 per square meter
- The region’s total average cost per square meter of constructions in the fourth quarter of 2020 was PhP 1,161.
Residential construction makes up to 78% of all regional constructions
- Across all types of constructions, residential constructions recorded the highest number with 294 or 78.4 percent share of the total constructions in the region. Followed by non-residential construction with 61 or 16.3 percent share of the total construction in the region.
- Aside from residential and non-residential construction, alteration and repair added 10 constructions, and street furniture/landscaping/signboard added 7 more constructions. Furthermore, there are no demolition/moving of buildings recorded in the region during the last quarter of 2020.
- Addition, a type of construction that refers to any new construction that increases the height or area of an existing building, and alteration and repair of existing structures, posted 10 recorded building permits during the last quarter of 2020.
Most residential constructions are single-type houses built mostly in Benguet
- Among the types of residential constructions, single-type house recorded the highest share with 90.8 percent (267 constructions) of the total residential constructions.
- Most of the single-type houses were built in Benguet with 174 building permits, followed by Apayao with 44. Ifugao recorded the least number of single-type constructions with 5 building permits.
- This was followed by duplex/quadruplex with 15 constructions, apartment/accessoria with 8 constructions, residential condominiums only have one construction, and other types of residential constructions with three units.
- Furthermore, only Benguet province were able to record building permits to construct duplex/quadruplex, residential condominiums, and other residential buildings
Figure 2. Percentage of Residential Constructions by Type, CAR: Q4 2020
Duplex/Quadruplex building has highest average cost of residential constructions
- Residential building constructions during the fourth quarter of 2020 had an average cost of PhP 1,116 per square meter.
Among the types of residential constructions, building of duplex/quadruplex type of houses in the region had an average cost of PhP 1,466 per square meter; while apartment/accessoria posted the lowest average cost of PhP 855 per square meter.
Other types of residential houses, consisting of school or company staff houses, living quarters for drivers and maids, and guardhouses, ranked second in terms of the value of construction with an average cost of PhP 1,176 per square meter.
Figure 3. Average Cost of Residential Constructions by Type: CAR, Q4 2020
- Of all CAR provinces, the cost of constructing residential buildings was highest in Benguet with an average cost of Php 1,141 per square meter. This was followed by Mountain province with an average cost of Php 1,119 per square meter. Abra recorded the lowest average cost of residential constructions with Php 809 per square meter.
Commercial buildings have most units among non-residential constructions
- Among the non-residential constructions, construction of commercial buildings such as stores, office buildings, bank, hotels/motels made up the highest share with 55.7 percent. Institutional buildings came next with 39.3 percent share. Agricultural buildings 3.3 percent, while other non-residential constructions shared 1.6 percent. However, there was no record of construction of any industrial building in the region.
- Ifugao was the only province with agricultural unit constructed.
Benguet had the highest non-residential buildings constructed with a total of 20 units, followed by Kalinga with 16 units. Abra have 9 units, and Ifugao and Apayao had both 8 units of non-residential building constructions.
Furthermore, Mountain Province had no recorded non-residential construction during the fourth quarter of 2020.
Figure 4. Percentage of Non-residential Constructions by Type, CAR: Q4 2020
Institutional-type of non-residential building has highest cost per square meter
- Construction of non-residential buildings costed an average of Php 1,260 per square meter. Among the type of non-residential constructions, institutional-type of buildings reported the highest cost per square meter with Php 1,642. On the other hand, commercial-type of buildings registered the lowest cost with Php 1,014 per square meter.
- Among CAR provinces, construction of non-residential buildings was expensive in Kalinga with an average cost with Php 1,461 per square meter. Followed by Benguet with Php 1,379 average cost. The province with the lowest average cost of nonresidential construction was Apayao with Php 465 per square meter.
Most of commercial buildings constructed are stores
- More than half of commercial constructions during the last quarter of 2020 were for building stores with a total of 26 building permits. These had an average cost of Php 638 per square meter. Kalinga had the most number of stores constructed with 7 units, while Ifugao had the least with 3 units.
- Bank had only one recorded unit, 3 units for hotel/motel/etc, and 4 for other commercial buildings.
- During the last quarter of 2020, no permit for condominium/office building construction was recorded.
Most of institutional buildings constructed are schools
- Of the 24 institutional buildings constructed in the region, schools had the highest number of building permits issued with 11 units. The average cost for school building construction was Php 1,438 per square meter.
Church/other religious structure and the hospital had the least number of permits granted with two and one units, respectively.