2018 Census of Philippine Business and Industry (CPBI) Results: Sector M (Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities)

Reference Number: 

SR 2021-10

Release Date: 

Wednesday, March 31, 2021
Sector M: Professional, Scientific and Technical activities (PST)
 
Industry Section M includes 16 industry groups covering specialized Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities that require a high degree of training and make these specialized knowledge and skills available to users. It highlights the number of establishments engaged in the industry sections, total employment created, total revenue generated, total expenses incurred and total value added generated.
 
Figure 1. CPBI Results for Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities (PST),
CAR: 2018
 
  • The results of the 2018 CPBI showed that a total of 191 establishments were engaged in Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities in the Cordillera Administrative Region. This indicated a 158.1 percent increase from the 74 establishments that were recorded in 2012.
  • These establishments employed 1,530 employees composing of 780 male and 750 female employees. The number of employed increased by 286.4 percent compared to the 396 workers in 2012. Out of the total employees employed in PST activities, 1,463 were paid employees.
  • The PST industry generated a total of PhP2.3 billion, an increase of 3,040.3 percent from the PhP72.3 billion in 2012.
  • A total expense of PhP1 billion in 2018 was also recorded from the establishments in the region engaged in PST, indicating an increase of 1,836.3 percent from the PhP52.7 million in 2012. Out of these, 62.7 percent was incurred for other expenses which amounted to PhP639.1 million while the remaining 37.3 percent amounting to PhP380.7 million was spent for compensation.
  • PST activities realized a total of Php1.8 billion value added in 2018. This was 3,477.4 percent higher compared to the total value added that was recorded during 2012.
  • A total of PhP3 million gross additions to tangible fixed assets were also recorded in the region for this industry section. However, no subsidy from the government was recorded for the industry.
Top industry groups in terms of number of establishments
 
Among the industry group in this section, photographic activities topped the list in terms of number of establishments. There were 59 establishments in this activity. Legal Activities as well as Architectural and Engineering Activities and Related Consultancy ranked second, both with 31 establishments followed by Management and Consultancy with 27 establishments.
 
Figure 2. Top Industry Group in Terms of Number of
Establishments, CAR: 2018
 
Top industry groups in terms of number of employees
 
Industry-wise, Technical Testing and Analysis employed the highest number of employees with 541 employees. This was followed by the Architectural and Engineering Activities and Related Technical Consultancy with 321 employees and Photography Activities with 180 employees. Technical Testing and Analysis also incurred the highest compensation expense with a total of PhP109.9 million. However, Activities in Head Offices spent higher compensation (PhP78.7 million) compared to that of Architectural and Engineering Activities and Related Technical Consultancy (PhP64.1 million), and Photography Activities (PhP71.5 million) which ranked 2nd and 3rd in terms of number of employees.
 
Figure 3. Top Industry Group in Terms of
Number of Employees, CAR: 2018
 
Top industry groups in terms of total revenue and expenses
 
Figure 4. Top Industry Group in Terms of Total Revenue and Expenses, CAR: 2018
 
 
 
The top three industry groups that contributed the highest revenue were also the top three industries in terms of total expenses incurred in 2018.
 
Across industry groups, Photographic Activities earned the highest revenue with PhP1.6 billion. This was followed by Technical Testing and Analysis with PhP159.4 million and Management Consultancy Activities with PhP142.5 million.
 
Photographic Activities remained the top 1 for total expenses, incurring PhP463.2 million total expenses, Technical Testing and Analysis also remained top 2, incurring PhP129.7 million and top 3 was Management Consultancy Activities incurring PhP123.7 million.
 
Top industry groups in terms of total value added
 
Top 3 industries in terms of total valued added in the region were Photographic Activities, Technical Testing and Analysis and Architectural and Engineering Activities and Related Technical Consultancy.
 
Photographic Activities had a total value added of PhP1.3 billion. Meanwhile, Technical Testing Analysis had a total of PhP141.2 million value added while Architectural and Engineering Activities and Related Technical Consultancy had a total of PhP100.3 million valued added.
 
Figure 5. Top Industry Group in Terms of Total Value Added, CAR: 2018
 
 
 

 

Attachments: