- About nine million hectares or 30.0 percent of the total land area of the country were identified as having high mineral potential in 2016. This was based from the mineral profile of the Philippines reported by the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB).
There were 11 Mineral Production Sharing Agreement (MPSA) approved in 2016 covering a total land area of 15,542.9 hectares in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR). This was about 0.8 percent of the total land area of the region, and 0.2 to the total mineable land in the country.
8 of 11 mining agreements covers Benguet province
- Out of the 11 MPSA in CAR, eight were situated in the province of Benguet covering a total land area of 13,817.9 hectares. The remaining three covered the province of Abra with an area of 1,725.0 hectares.
Employment Rate in Mining and Quarrying at 17.8%
- CAR ranked third on the highest employment rate for Mining and Quarrying with a total of 5,156 employed workers or 17.8 percent of the total employment based on the result of the 2016 Annual Survey of Philippine Business and Industry.
Davao region had the highest employment with 5,887 workers or 20.3 percent share to the total employment, followed by Caraga with 5,804 workers or 20.0 percent share.
For every basic job in the mining industry, about four ancillary and indirect jobs may be generated.
CAR ranks 4th highest in Mining and Quarrying expense
- The region came fourth with the highest expenses in mining and quarrying including compensation with PHP13.8 billion or 15.1 percent of the total expenses for the industry in the country.
In 2016, PHP558.0 million was committed by mining companies for the development of host and neighboring communities through the approved Social Development and Management Program in 2016.
Another PHP15.0 million budget was allotted by firms for community development program.
Meanwhile, the companies committed the amount of PHP554 million for the implementation of projects under the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Program, and Final Mine Rehabilitation and/or Decommissioning Plan.
Mining and quarrying industry contributes 2.9% to total GRDP of CAR
- Mining and quarrying industry contributed 2.9 percent to the total Gross Regional Domestic Product (GRDP) of CAR, at current prices in 2016. The gross value added (GVA) of mining and quarrying industry in CAR declined by an annual average of 2.3 percent from PHP9.4 billion in 2004 to PHP7.0 billion in 2016.
From 2004 to 2016, the recorded GVA in 2007 had the highest contribution to the total GRDP of CAR at current prices contributing 11.1 percent, while 2015 and 2016 had the lowest contributions to the total economy with 2.9 percent.
Gross Value Added of Mining and Quarrying Industry in CAR: 2004-2016
GVA in Mining and Quarrying
(in thousand PHP)
Domestic Product (in
Production and Value of Metallic Mineral Resources of CAR
- In 2016, CAR recorded a 4,410.9 kg of gold production valued at PHP8.1 billion. Copper production produced 73,109.0 MT and valued at PHP3.8 billion, while silver production produced 4,394.4 kg and valued at PHP112.0 million.
Production and Value of Non-Metallic Mineral Resources of CAR
- In 2016, the value of non-metallic mineral production was estimated at PHP258.8 million. Sand and gravel registered a total production of 720,275.5 cubic meters with value of PHP175.0 million, which shared 67.6 percent to the total value of production.