Fisheries Situation Report of Apayao Province Cordillera Administrative Region October-December: 2019-2021

Reference Number: 

2020-CARAP-SR06

Release Date: 

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Fisheries production drops by 35.3 percent

The total volume of fisheries production was estimated at 25.83 metric tons during the fourth quarter of 2021. It went down by 35.3 percent from 39.94 metric tons produced during the same period in the previous year. For the fourth quarter from 2019 to 2021, highest decline was registered in 2020 at 47.6 percent. (Figure 1, and Tables 1 and 2)

 

Figure 1. Volume of Fisheries Production and Annual Growth Rate, Apayao Province, Cordillera Administrative Region, October-December: 2019 to 2021P

P- Preliminary

 

Figure 2. Percent Share of Species to Total Production, Apayao Province, Cordillera Administrative Region, October-December 2021P

P- Preliminary

 

During the fourth quarter of 2021, tilapia posted the highest share at 61.6 percent to total fisheries production. It was followed at a distant by carp at 14.2 percent. All available species in the province registered a double-digit decrement in percent compared with the previous year’s same quarter level. (Figure 2 and Table 1)

Of the total fisheries production, catch from inland bodies of water shared more than 50.0 percent and aquaculture subsector was somewhat lower than 50.0 percent. (Figure 3 and Table 2)

 

Figure 3. Percent Share by Subsector to Total Production, Apayao Province, Cordillera Administrative Region, October-December 2021P

P- Preliminary

 

Figure 4. Volume of Inland Fisheries Production and Annual Growth Rate, Apayao Province, Cordillera Administrative Region, October-December: 2019 to 2021P

P- Preliminary

 

Production from inland fisheries dropped nearly 50.0 percent during the fourth quarter of 2021. (Figure 4 and Table 2)

By inland fisheries grouping, fish output shared the biggest at 93.2 percent or 12.53 metric tons to total inland fisheries production of 13.33 metric tons. Molluscs and crustaceans shared 4.1 percent and 2.7 percent, respectively. (Figure 5 and Table 3)

 

Figure 5. Volume of Inland Fisheries Production by Classification, Apayao Province, Cordillera Administrative Region, October-December 2021P

P- Preliminary

 

Figure 6. Volume of Aquaculture Production and Annual Growth Rate, Apayao Province, Cordillera Administrative Region, October-December: 2019 to 2021P

P- Preliminary

 

Aquaculture farm production was recorded 12.50 metric tons during the 2021 fourth quarter. It posted a slowdown of 12.4 percent from the 14.27 metric tons output in the same quarter a year ago. There were only 3 species harvested from aquafarm. (Figure 6 and Table 4)

By aquaculture farm type, production from freshwater fishpond contributed 99.4 percent and the remaining 0.6 percent was produced from freshwater cage. In both fishpond and cage combined, tilapia contributed 99.4 percent to the total aquaculture production. Carp and mudfish shared 0.4 percent and 0.2 percent, respectively. (Figure 7 and Table 4)

 

Figure 7. Volume of Aquaculture Production by Farm Type and by Species, Apayao Province, Cordillera Administrative Region, October-December 2021P

 

P- Preliminary

Table 1. Volume of Fisheries Production by Species, Apayao Province, Cordillera Administrative Region, October-December: 2019 to 2021P

P- Preliminary

 

Table 2. Volume of Fisheries Production by Subsector, Apayao Province, Cordillera Administrative Region, October-December: 2019 to 2021P

P- Preliminary

 

Table 3. Volume of Inland Fisheries Production by Classification and by Species, Apayao Province, Cordillera Administrative Region, October-December: 2019 to 2021P

P- Preliminary

 

Table 4. Volume of Aquaculture Production by Farm Type and by Species, Apayao Province, Cordillera Administrative Region, October-December: 2019 to 2021P

 

CONCEPTS AND DEFINITIONS

Inland fisheries - the catching of fish, crustaceans, molluscs and other aquatic animals and plants in inland water like lakes, rivers, dams, marshes, etc. using fishing vessels of three (3) gross tons or less; or fishing not requiring the use of fishing vessels.

Aquaculture - fishery operation involving all forms of raising and culturing of fish and other fishery species in fresh, brackish and marine water areas. (RA 8550)

Aquafarm - farming facility used in the culture or propagation of aquatic species including fish, mollusk, crustaceans and aquatic plants for purposes of rearing to enhance production.

Tags: 

Attachments: