- For CY 2020 total fish production of the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) decrease by 11.9% from 4,157.6 metric tons (MT) in 2019 to 3,662.6 MT in 2020 contributed by decline in both Inland and Aquaculture production. The provinces of Apayao, Benguet and Ifugao registered negative trends. However, fish production in the provinces of Abra, Kalinga and Mountain Province registered positive growths (Table 1).
- Out of the total regional production of 3,662.6 MT, 2,760.0 MT (75.4%) came from aquaculture and 902.7 MT (24.6%) came from inland fishery production (Table 2).
- For CY 2020, Ifugao was consistently the top producer with 1,960.4 MT accounting for 53.5% of the total regional fishery production. Abra province came second with 18.3% share, followed by Kalinga with 15.1%, Apayao with 6.6%, and Benguet with 6.0 % (Figure 1).
- Mountain Province contributed the smallest share in the fishery of the region with an output of 19.4 MT comprising only 0.5% of the total fish production in the region (Table 2).
MUNICIPAL INLAND PRODUCTION
- Inland municipal fishing refers to fishing in inland waters like lakes, rivers, and dams. Using simple gears and fishing boats some of which are non-motorized with a capacity of less than three (3) gross tons, or fishing not requiring the use of fishing boats.
- Cordillera municipal inland fishing output during the CY 2020 was 902.7 MT, comprising 24.6% of the total fishery production in the region (Table 3).
Table 3. Municipal Inland Production in CAR by Province: 2020
- Kalinga recorded the top inland fishing province comprising 36.0% of the total inland fishery production of the region. It was trailed by Abra with 30.6% share. Ifugao came third with 14.9% share while Apayao came fourth with 14.5% share. The provinces with the smallest shares were Benguet and Mountain Province with 3.1% and 0.8% shares, respectively (Figure 2).
- Aquaculture is a fishery operation involving all forms of raising and culturing of fish and other fishery species in fresh, brackish and marine water areas.
- In CY 2020, CAR registered an aquaculture production of 2,760.0 MT with an estimated area harvested of 535.6 hectares. Aquaculture dominated the region’s fisheries accounting for 75.4% of the total fish production (Table 4).
Table 4. Aquaculture Production and Area Harvested in CAR, by Province: 2020
Figure 3. Percentage Distribution of Aquaculture Production in CAR by Province: 2020
- Ifugao province is the aquaculture fishery carrier of the region which posted the highest production with 1,825.6 MT from an area harvested of 210.5 hectares. Abra was second with 395.4 MT with an area harvested of 150.0 hectares while Mountain Province has the least production in the region with only 12.6 MT and an area harvested of 5.5 hectares (Table 4).
- In terms of percentage distribution in aquaculture production in the region, Ifugao’s share was 66.1%. Abra came second with 14.3% share. The shares of the other provinces to total aquaculture production of the region were 8.2% for Kalinga, 6.9% for Benguet, 4.0 % for Apayao, and 0.5 % for Mountain Province (Figure 4).